The bell from the old Kirk was "lost" but was rediscovered in 1929 by the Rev. Adam McKay at Brodie. The bell (and communion cups) were re-dedicated at a special service held at Huntly Church in November 1929 and were returned to Kinnoir. The bell was housed in a specially built belfry at the Kinnoir Mission Hall. Services were held there until the 1980's after which the bell was transferred to the Strathbogie Church in Huntly where it can be viewed today. The Kinnoir Mission Hall (or more popularly called the Kinnoir Kirk) was sold and is now converted into a modern dwelling house.
The ancient Parish of Kinnoir is bounded to the north by the Fourman Hill. A popular (although probably unlikely) explanation of the name is that it stems from the fact that the lands of four local lairds join at the top of the hill and that the four lairds used to meet there to discuss local issues while each stood on his own territory.
In modern times the land at Kinnoir is given over to farming and forestry although the remains of a 16th century mill can still be seen near the kirkyard on the banks of the River Deveron. The mill was still operational right up to the 1920s
More history of Kinnoir…..
As you might imagine, the arrival of the phone was a revelation for the kids at Kinnoir school.
Danny Alexander remembers when it was installed and also remembers Mr Whiteford (Head Teacher of the school at that time) taking groups of kids from the senior classes over to the phone box so that they could phone back to the school and “learn” how to use the telephone!
Kinnoir was never a commercial centre (in terms of a village or a town) and the centre of the community was (and to an extent still is) the school and community hall. Some commercial activity did go on, however, as there was a shop (based in a wooden shed) at Annatswells selling sweets, cigarettes and general grocery items up until the second world war. There was a shoemaker who provided shoes for the community at Sharpewood and even a tailor who would make you a suit for a reasonable fee.
A grocer from Rothiemay did send a horse drawn grocer’s van over to Kinnoir every now and again. This van carried freshly baked bread and other supplies and followed a route via Redhill Farm and over the hill to Auchinbo, Bogenspro and down into the valley of Kinnoir. (This road has now disappeared) To read more about the grocer’s van click here
When money was tight the enterprising folk of Kinnoir would barter fresh eggs, cheese and fresh vegetables for other “hard” supplies from the van.
There was, however, a Post office at one time in Kinnoir. Part of the farm house at Loanend was given over to providing postal services and a phone box was sited at the end of the Loanend road when telephone services came to Kinnoir in the late 1940s.
Mill o’ Kinnoir Photo courtesy of Jim Morrison
The Mill as it would have looked in its heyday
Photo courtesy of the late Miss Margaret Pirie